Health Education and Promotion
The health education and promotion program prepares students to provide preventive and rehabilitative services in a variety of settings including work sites, health care facilities, community agencies, schools/universities and governmental agencies. Students culminate their degree requirements with a semester-long internship during their final semester.
This degree track prepares students for credentialing opportunities such as the Certified Health Education Specialists and certifications offered through the American College of Sports Medicine. OSU-Tulsa students receive hands-on training in the on-site Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma Health and Human Performance Lab.
OSU-Tulsa is downtown Tulsa's public comprehensive research university, offering junior- and senior-level classes with flexible schedules designed for working adults. OSU-Tulsa students are OSU students, which means your degree is an Oklahoma State University degree -- the same degree students in Stillwater receive. Students generally transfer to OSU-Tulsa with an associate's degree or at least 45 credit hours from another institution. The majority of our students take their first two years at Tulsa Community College or another local two- or four-year school, but students have transferred to OSU-Tulsa from colleges and universities across the country.
Degree Options Available at OSU-Tulsa
- Public Health
- Exercise and Health
- OSU-Tulsa Transfer Map major map
- 2016-2017 Exercise and Health TCC to OSU-Tulsa Transfer course map
- 2016-2017 Public Health TCC to OSU-Tulsa Transfer course map
- 40 hours must be upper-division.
- A 2.75 overall and major GPA are required for graduation with a minimum grade of “C” or “P” in all major and college/departmental requirements.
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 and 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU. Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; eight transfer correspondence hours.
*course availability varies by semester
Health Behavior Theory
Principles of Epidemiology
Alcohol and Drug Education
Psychosocial Issues in Health Education/Promotion
Evening, hybrid and online courses make it easy for students to pursue a degree while working.
How Much Will it Cost?
OSU is one of the best values in the Big 12 and has lower tuition and fees than many Tulsa-area schools and online-only institutions. Students taking 15 credit hours (full time) will pay approximately $5,231.25 per semester in tuition and fees and an estimated $630 for books and supplies. (Estimates based on 2017-2018 tuition and fee charges. Books and supplies will vary based on classes taken each semester.) OSU-Tulsa offers financial aid, scholarships and tuition waivers, with several dedicated specifically to transfer students.
Possible options for Health Education and Promotion majors include:
- OSU-Tulsa Transfer Tuition Waiver Scholarship or Regents Distinguished Transfer Waiver Scholarship
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma Health Promotion Endowed Scholarship
Contact the OSU-Tulsa Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to learn more.
How Long will it Take?
Use this chart below to see how long it will take you to complete your bachelor’s degree at OSU-Tulsa if you transfer with 60 credit hours from your two-year institution. If you transfer with fewer than 60 credit hours, the number of semesters will increase accordingly.
|Credit Hours/Semester||Semesters (est.)|
- Health and wellness educator
- Community or social service specialist
- Community health worker
- Occupational therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Employee wellness coordinator
- Patient advocate
- Intervention Specialist
- Program Evaluator
- Health Analyst
- Personal trainer
- Fitness center manager
Some of these careers may require extra training or education.
- Local health departments
- K-12 schools
- Colleges and universities
- Non-profit organizations
- Community health organizations
- Hospitals and health care facilities
- Nursing and residential care
General Business graduates often continue their education by pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree or graduate certificate. Related graduate programs available at OSU-Tulsa include:
- Public Health, master's
- Health Care Administration, master's
- Health and Human Performance, master's
- Athletic Training, master's
- Academic information from the OSU College of Education, Health and Aviation website
- The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma Health and Human Performance Lab at OSU-Tulsa
Contact OSU-Tulsa Prospective Student Services
Administration Hall First Floor