College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations in 33 introductory college subjects that allow individuals to earn college credit for what they already know regardless of how that knowledge was acquired: through advanced course work, independent study, work experience, professional development or extracurricular activities. OSU awards credit for successful scores on several CLEP exams. View a list of CLEP exams offered for OSU credit, the credit-granting score, and the equivalent courses.
CLEP exams are 90 minutes long unless an essay portion is required, primarily multiple choice (although some exams have fill-in-the-blank questions) and are administered via computer.
For descriptions of individual CLEP exams, visit the CLEP website.
Each CLEP exam costs $87, payable to CLEP. In addition, the OSU-Tulsa Testing Services' administration fee (payable to OSU-Tulsa) is $35. The CLEP fee must be paid by credit card on the CLEP website. The OSU fee must be paid by credit card, cash in the bursar office, or current OSU students may charge their bursar account on the date of the exam.
The CLEP examination fee and the OSU-Tulsa administrative fee is waived for all eligible military personnel with a Geneva Convention Identification Card ID. Eligible military personnel include:
- Military personnel (active duty, reserve, National Guard): Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force Reserve, Army Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve and Air National Guard
- Spouses of Coast Guard (active and reserve)
- Civilian employees of Air Force must test on-base or U.S. fully funded test centers. OSU-Tulsa is a fully funded test center.
The registration platform allows you to register for a CLEP exam 24/7, manage your personal information any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select your score recipient institution, and purchase study materials. Please Note: All exam and study material purchases are non-refundable. Once you register, make sure to print your registration ticket to present to the test center on test day. Visit the college board website to get started.
Students/examinees should contact the Testing Center to arrange an appointment to make sure that a computer is available on the desired date and time. When scheduling an appointment, allow approximately two hours for exams without essays or four hours for exams with essays. Exams may be scheduled Monday through Friday during Testing Center hours of operation. No CLEP exams will be administered during finals week.
Examinees must provide a single, valid, government-issued ID with a photo and signature. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
Examples of this ID are a current driver's license, a current state or federal ID card, a current passport, a tribal ID card, a naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
For more information on acceptable IDs, download the Information for test takers bulletin.
CLEP Exams Offered at OSU-Tulsa Testing Services
Examinees will receive an unofficial score report upon completion of the exam. If examinees want their scores sent to a college, employer or certifying agency, they must select this option when registering for the exam on the College Board website. A $20 fee will be charged for each transcript ordered at a later date. Scores will be kept on file by CLEP for 20 years. Find out more about CLEP scores and ordering transcripts on the College Board website.
If an examinee has taken the College Composition exam, one combined score will be issued after the essay has been scored, usually three to four weeks after the test date. Exam scoring and mailing dates are available on the College Board website.
Policies and Procedures
- Examinees must pay the CLEP exam fee on the CLEP website prior to the test date. The OSU-Tulsa administration fee must be paid by cashier’s check, money order, credit card or charged to the student’s OSU bursar account on the test date.
- Each examinee must bring appropriate identification as stated above.
- Examinees may not repeat of the same title within three months of the initial testing date.
- Examinees are permitted to bring the following materials into the testing area: personal identification, scratch paper provided by the test center and a pencil (non-mechanical). No other items are allowed in the testing room, including calculators, books, papers, notes, cell phones, cameras, recording devices, pagers, any reference materials and food or beverages.
- Examinees may not wear or take a hat with a bill or brim into the testing room without prior approval.
- Visitors are not allowed in the testing room.
- Examinees are not permitted to ask any questions after the test begins; they should ask all questions before the test begins.
- Any examinee who gives or receives assistance during the test will be required to immediately turn in all test materials and leave the room. The test will not be scored and there will be no refund.
- If an examinee is planning to take a CLEP test for credit at a university other than OSU, the admissions office of that university should be contacted for information on which CLEP exams are accepted for the desired course of study and the credit-granting score at that university. Because all universities have unique policies concerning course credit earned by CLEP examination, staff in the OSU-Tulsa Testing Center cannot advise examinees on which exams or scores will count for credit at another university.
Examinees may not repeat an examination within three months of the testing date. If a student retakes the examination within a three-month period, the administration will be considered invalid, the score will be canceled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
- CLEP Sampler
Use this free demo to practice taking a CLEP exam on a computer. Learn about the CLEP Computer-Based Testing software as well as the question types and their instructions. Download the sampler at the CLEP website.
- CLEP Official Study Guide
The CLEP Official Study Guide is published by the sponsor of CLEP and is the only complete source of information about CLEP exams. It contains sample questions and answers for all 33 exams, information on getting credit for CLEP, and exam-taking tips. The cost is $25.00 and is available at the CLEP website.
- Individual Subject Guides
For examinees interested in taking just one or two CLEP exams, they should consider purchasing the Individual Subject Guides instead of the comprehensive CLEP Official Study Guide. The content for a particular subject in the comprehensive Study Guide is the same as that in the Individual Subject Guides. For $10, you will get an outline of the test, sample questions and answers and tips for preparing to take the exam. Individual Subject Guides are available for download as PDFs at the CLEP website.
Testing for Students with Disabilities
It is important that examinees notify the Testing Center staff of special testing needs prior to the desired test date so that we can provide appropriate accommodations.