Skip Navigation

Communication Sciences and Disorders, Bachelor's

The undergraduate Communication Sciences and Disorders (CDIS) program provides a pre-professional background for students interested in pursuing a career in speech-language pathology or audiology. Students develop background knowledge in phonetics, speech and language development, anatomy and physiology, speech science and the neurogenic basis of communication. Students are introduced to a variety of communication disorders and participate in 25 hours of applied clinical observation at OSU-Tulsa’s on-campus Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic.

The undergraduate degree is a pre-professional degree. Most speech-language pathology and audiology positions require the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) which includes successful completion of a master’s degree, a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) and passing a national examination.

OSU-Tulsa is downtown Tulsa's public comprehensive research university, offering junior- and senior-level classes with flexible schedules designed for working adults. OSU-Tulsa students are OSU students, which means your degree is an Oklahoma State University degree -- the same degree students in Stillwater receive. Students generally transfer to OSU-Tulsa with an associate's degree or at least 45 credit hours from another institution. The majority of our students take their first two years at Tulsa Community College or another local two- or four-year school, but students have transferred to OSU-Tulsa from colleges and universities across the country.

Request Information

Transfer Maps

Degree Requirements

  • 48 hours must be upper-division.
  • A 2.0 overall and 2.75 major GPA with a minimum grade of "C" in all CDIS courses.
  • At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 and 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU. Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; eight transfer correspondence hours.

Courses Include

*course availability varies by semester

  • Audiology Diagnosis
  • Speech and Language Development
  • Phonetics
  • Communication Disorders in Children
  • Audiology Treatment
  • Speech Science
  • Neural Bases of Speech and Language

Evening, hybrid and online courses make it easy for students to pursue a degree while working.

How Much Will it Cost?

OSU is one of the best values in the Big 12 and has lower tuition and fees than many Tulsa-area schools and online-only institutions. Students taking 15 credit hours (full time) will pay approximately $5,231.25 per semester in tuition and fees and an estimated $630 for books and supplies. (Estimates based on 2017-2018 tuition and fee charges. Books and supplies will vary based on classes taken each semester.) OSU-Tulsa offers financial aid, scholarships and tuition waivers, with several dedicated specifically to transfer students.

OSU Tuition and Fees Estimator

Possible options for Communication Sciences and Disorders majors include:

Contact the OSU-Tulsa Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to learn more.

How Long will it Take?

Use this chart below to see how long it will take you to complete your bachelor’s degree at OSU-Tulsa if you transfer with 60 credit hours from your two-year institution. If you transfer with fewer than 60 credit hours, the number of semesters will increase accordingly.

Credit Hours/Semester Semesters (est.)
6 10
9 7
12 5
15 4

Career Paths

  • Speech-Language Pathologist
  • Audiologist
  • Speech-Language Pathology Assistant
  • Hearing Aid Specialist

Some of these careers may require extra training or education.

Potential Employers

  • Audiology offices
  • Speech-language-hearing clinics
  • Hospitals
  • Therapy and rehabilitation centers
  • PreK-12 schools
  • Colleges and universities
  • Nursing and residential care facilities

Graduate Study

Most Communication Sciences and Disorders majors continue their education by pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree or graduate certificate. Related graduate programs available:

Request Information

More Information

Contact OSU-Tulsa Prospective Student Services

North Hall 130