Mechanical Engineering, B.S.
OSU-Tulsa is proud to have the only public mechanical engineering bachelor's degree program in northeastern Oklahoma. Because mechanical engineering is perhaps the broadest of all engineering disciplines, our program provides not only excellent grounding in all engineering fundamentals, but also allows some flexibility in selecting technical electives to suit the student’s interests.
Mechanical engineering students extend their study of the engineering sciences and consider applications of fundamental principles and analysis tools to the solution of real technological problems of society. Some design courses involve students in the solution of authentic, current and significant engineering problems provided by industrial firms. Others may help smaller firms that need assistance with the development of new products. Students in Tulsa study and research at OSU-Tulsa’s state-of-the-art Helmerich Research Center.
OSU-Tulsa is downtown Tulsa's public comprehensive research university, offering junior- and senior-level classes with flexible schedules designed for working adults. OSU-Tulsa students are OSU students, which means your degree is an Oklahoma State University degree -- the same degree students in Stillwater receive. Students generally transfer to OSU-Tulsa with an associate's degree or at least 45 credit hours from another institution. The majority of our students take their first two years at Tulsa Community College or another local two- or four-year school, but students have transferred to OSU-Tulsa from colleges and universities across the country.
- 40 hours must be upper-division.
- A 2.5 overall and major GPA, with "C" or better in each course that is a prerequisite for a major course are required for graduation.
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 and 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU. Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; eight transfer correspondence hours.
*course availability varies by semester
Computer Methods in Analysis and Design
Engineering Economic Analysis
Evening, hybrid and online courses make it easy for students to pursue a degree while working.
How Much Will it Cost?
OSU is one of the best values in the Big 12 and has lower tuition and fees than many Tulsa-area schools and online-only institutions. Students taking 15 credit hours (full time) will pay approximately $6,153.25 per semester in tuition and fees and an estimated $630 for books and supplies. (Estimates based on 2017-2018 tuition and fee charges. Books and supplies will vary based on classes taken each semester.) OSU-Tulsa offers financial aid, scholarships and tuition waivers, with several dedicated specifically to transfer students.
Possible options for Mechanical Engineering majors include:
- OSU-Tulsa Transfer Tuition Waiver Scholarship or Regents Distinguished Transfer Waiver Scholarship
- PACCAR Foundation Scholarship in Mechanical Engineering
- Samson Endowed Scholarship
Contact the OSU-Tulsa Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to learn more.
How Long will it Take?
Use this chart below to see how long it will take you to complete your bachelor’s degree at OSU-Tulsa if you transfer with 60 credit hours from your two-year institution. If you transfer with fewer than 60 credit hours, the number of semesters will increase accordingly.
|Credit Hours/Semester||Semesters (est.)|
- Aerospace engineer
- Architectural and engineering manager
- Automotive engineer
- Contracting engineer
- Design engineering manager
- Energy engineer
- Lab manager
- Maintenance engineer
- Manufacturing plant manager
- Mechanical drafter
- Mechanical engineer
- Mechanical engineering technologist
- Nuclear engineer
- Petroleum engineer
- Project manager
- Quality assurance engineer
Some of these careers may require extra training or education.
- Federal, state, tribal and local government
- Defense contractors
- Oil and gas companies
- Biotechnology corporations
- Consumer electronics companies
- Software publishers
- Power and utility companies
- Telecommunications companies
- Aerospace and aviation companies
- Architectural firms
- Automobile companies
- Banks and financial services corporations
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Construction and building companies
- Consulting firms
Marketing graduates often continue their education by pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree or graduate certificate. Related graduate programs available at OSU-Tulsa or OSU in Stillwater include:
- Engineering and Technology Management (master’s)
- Environmental Science (master’s and doctoral)
- Industrial Engineering and Management (master’s)
- Materials Science and Engineering (master’s and doctoral)
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (master’s)
- Academic information from the OSU College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology website
- OSU-Tulsa ASME Student Chapter Facebook Group
- OSU-Tulsa Engineering News
Contact OSU-Tulsa Prospective Student Services
North Hall 130
Helmerich Research Center/Engineering at OSU-Tulsa News
Post date: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 6:09pm
Post date: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 3:18pm
Post date: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 5:13pm
Post date: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 9:45am
Post date: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 9:17am