Political Science attempts to understand who participates in the political process and, when they do not, what it means for society. Students study political theory, public law, comparative politics, international relations, public administration, and American politics. Flexibility is offered through internships and opportunities for independent study courses in areas where the department may not offer regular course work.
The political science major prepares students for a wide range of local, state, national and international careers, in and around government. It also has great career versatility for students, developing skills in critical analysis, written and oral communications, leadership and judgment. It also provides preparation for admission to law school.
OSU-Tulsa is downtown Tulsa's public comprehensive research university, offering junior- and senior-level classes with flexible schedules designed for working adults. OSU-Tulsa students are OSU students, which means your degree is an Oklahoma State University degree -- the same degree students in Stillwater receive. Students generally transfer to OSU-Tulsa with an associate's degree or at least 45 credit hours from another institution. The majority of our students take their first two years at Tulsa Community College or another local two- or four-year school, but students have transferred to OSU-Tulsa from colleges and universities across the country.
- OSU-Tulsa Transfer Map major map
- 2022-23 TCC to OSU Paralegal Studies to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2022-23 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Science course map
- 2021-22 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Arts course map
- 2021-22 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Science course map
- 2021-22 TCC to OSU Criminal Justice to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2021-22 TCC to OSU Paralegal Studies to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2020-21 TCC to OSU Criminal Justice to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2020-21 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Arts course map
- 2020-21 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Science course map
- 2020-21 TCC to OSU Paralegal Studies to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2019-20 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Science course map
- 2019-20 TCC to OSU Paralegal Studies to Bachelor of Science course map
- 2016-17 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Arts course map
- 2016-17 TCC to OSU Bachelor of Science course map
- 42 hours must be upper-division.
- A 2.0 overall and 2.5 major GPA are required for graduation with a minimum grade of “C” in all POLS courses.
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 and 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU. Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; eight transfer correspondence hours.
*course availability varies by semester
Public Opinion and Polling
Politics in Contemporary Film
Politics of Western Europe
Women in Politics
American Foreign Policy
Politics in Latin America
Evening, hybrid and online courses make it easy for students to pursue a degree while working.
How Much Will it Cost?
OSU is one of the best values in the Big 12 and has lower tuition and fees than many Tulsa-area schools and online-only institutions. Students taking 15 credit hours (full time) will pay approximately $5,237.25 per semester in tuition and fees and an estimated $630 for books and supplies. (Estimates based on 2017-2018 tuition and fee charges. Books and supplies will vary based on classes taken each semester.) OSU-Tulsa offers financial aid, scholarships and tuition waivers, with several dedicated specifically to transfer students.
OSU Tuition and Fees Estimator
Possible options for Political Science majors include:
- OSU-Tulsa Transfer Tuition Waiver Scholarship or Regents Distinguished Transfer Waiver Scholarship
- Tulsa Press Club – Governor Henry Bellmon – President’s Distinguished Scholarship
- Senator Don Nickles Endowed Scholarship
Contact the OSU-Tulsa Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to learn more.
How Long will it Take?
Use this chart below to see how long it will take you to complete your bachelor’s degree at OSU-Tulsa if you transfer with 60 credit hours from your two-year institution. If you transfer with fewer than 60 credit hours, the number of semesters will increase accordingly.
|Credit Hours/Semester||Semesters (est.)|
- Political scientist
- Policy analyst
- Law enforcement/corrections officer
- Legislative assistant
- Political consultant
- Corporate analyst
- Public affairs adviser
- Policy analyst
- Foreign service officer
- Intelligence officer
- Public relations specialist
- Political campaign staff
Some of these careers may require extra training or education.
- Federal, state, tribal and local government
- New Media Companies
- K-12 School Districts
- Colleges and Universities
- Political Campaigns
- Law Firms
- Police Departments
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Arts and Cultural Organizations
- Self-employed/Freelance Work
- Hospitals/Health care providers
- Non-profit organizations
Political science graduates often continue their education by pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree or graduate certificate. Related graduate programs available at OSU-Tulsa include:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Educational Leadership Studies (master's)
- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (doctoral)
- Mass Communications (master's - available at OSU Stillwater)
- Political Science (master's - available at OSU Stillwater)
- School Administration (doctoral)
Contact OSU-Tulsa Prospective Student Services
North Hall 130