Society for Neuroscience Tulsa Chapter
Several members of the OSU Brain Initiative are active in the Society for Neuroscience Tulsa Chapter. The chapter promotes and facilitates neuroscience networking among the Tulsa Neuroscience community, creates awareness about the brain and its diseases and disorders, and focuses on the development of younger neuroscientists.
Activities coordinated by the Tulsa SFN Chapter include:
- Brain Awareness Week
- Women in Science workshop
- You and Your Brain
President and Chapter Representative: Dr. Dolores Vazquez Sanroman
Vice-President: Dr. Nedra Wilson
Treasurer: Dr. Kathleen Curtis
Secretary: Stephanie McGlothlin
Graduate Student Representative: Zinar Simsek
COM-Student Representative: Toni Nigro
Education Representative: Sarah Sadler
Brain Awareness Week 2020
- March 11th:
- Put Your Hands in Some Brains: Students were able to learn concepts of neuroscience for understanding brain processes; they had the opportunity to explore and “touch” a human brain. The event created awareness about the enormous respect for our organ donor program.
- March 12th:
- Drug Addiction Boot Camp: Students learned about facts and came up with ideas to prevent drug addiction in their communities, which included creating and presenting posters they made.
- March 13th:
- Breakfast with Champions: COM-Y1, COM-Y2, and biomedical sciences graduate students had one-hour of food and mentoring, providing the students with experiences and guidance for navigating in medical and graduate school.
- Funding: SFN 2019 Grant Chapter. PI: Dolores Vazquez Sanroman Ph.D.