Computer and Network Use Policy
OSU-Tulsa students pay tuition and a Library fee, which helps support their access to computers, information databases, the Internet, and other electronic resources.
Library Computers are intended primarily for use by OSU-Tulsa students, faculty, and staff. Priority to this finite resource is given to our students for library-related research needs, especially those wanting access to book/journal information. Scanners are available - ask for details. Guest users may be asked to relinquish a computer to a member of the campus community.
Guest Users: Members of other higher education academic communities may use Library computers if they show a current validated Identification Card that verifies their association with a school, college, or university or have a current OK-Share card. Tulsa Community College students enrolled on the OSU-Tulsa campus have guest access to computers. These TCC students have free printing for school-related printing. See a Reference Librarian.
Members of the OSU Alumni Association, recent graduates, and former students within 1 year of enrollment may use the computer with proof of past enrollment.
Library computer use is not a substitute for school classrooms. The Library computers are for supplemental research. The Library is not a classroom and should not be used as such.
Guest users who meet qualifications for the Library's community borrower program and are Tulsa metro area residents may purchase a community borrower card ($25/year) that allows Library computer use. Guest users will pay $.10 per printed page. Prepayment is required. Cash only.
OSU Alumni need a current OSU Alumni Association card or have a community borrower's card ($25/yr for computer use and book check out with a limit of 5 books at one time). A onetime courtesy use will be given per calendar year to alumni if they do not have the alumni association card.
We have two computers designated for persons with a disability. These computers may be used by others until they are needed by a person with a disability.
No one under the age of 18 is allowed to use computers without parental supervision.
We require that minor children be accompanied by an adult, since there is no Internet filtering software on Library computers. We adhere to Oklahoma and Federal Statutes that require protection for minors regarding access to the Internet:
"Libraries [are not required] to act as the conscience of its patrons ... [but must] take reasonable and prudent steps to limit improper access and display of material harmful to minors. (Attorney General of Oklahoma Opinion No. 97-46 interpreting 21 OK. Statutes Supp. 1996, §1040.76.)
Computer Use Policy
- OSU-Tulsa computers provide access to the Internet, a valuable source of information. However, not all sources are current, accurate, complete, or consistent with community standards. The Library is not responsible if the user finds information and/or images that are offensive or inaccurate.
- Use is restricted to research, assignments, or other academic needs over recreational use such as eBay, computer games, chat groups, Facebook, entertainment files, and downloads, etc.
- MS Office is available in the Library, with limited assistance by a librarian.
- Users have a 30-minute limit when others are waiting. Students may only use one computer at a time.
- Users may not destroy or alter equipment or install software.
- If a computer is vacated, we reserve the right to log the user off, and secure belongings in a locked area. Belongings may be retrieved by describing the belongings or by showing a picture ID.
- Users may not put the computers to any illegal or unethical use. The Library abides by all local, state, and federal laws, including the Oklahoma Law on Obscenity and Child Pornography (21 OK. Statutes, Chapter 39, §1024.1-1024.5).
- Users must abide by Oklahoma State University Information Technology Appropriate Use Policy.
- Users must obey all copyright and license agreements.
- While drinks are allowed in the Library, we do not allow use at all computer stations. ALL drinks must have a lid.
- OSU-Tulsa utilizes Pharos software to manage printing. Throughout the semester print credits will decrease as your make prints. Students are highly encouraged to limit printing and incorporate sustainability practices.
- Color printing is $.10 a sheet and students will have their bursar's account charged for each printed sheet.
- Other Library guests (academic community, guest users, and community borrower card holders) pay $0.10 per printed page. Prepayment is required. Cash only.
- Users are encouraged to save documents by using a flash drive or emailing them to yourself.
The OSU-Tulsa Library has authority to terminate computer access to any person not in compliance with this posted policy.
Last Revision 3/20 (Prior Revisions 11/97, 12/08, 8/09, 6/10, 9/10, 3/11, 4/12, 6/14. 8/17, 9/18)