Successful Supervisor Series
The Successful Supervisor Series (S3) will take what you have learned about being a supervisor and kick it up a notch. The program is designed for both new and seasoned supervisors. Those interested in participating must complete an application and submit a letter of recommendation from their manager. A limited number of participants will be selected for this prestigious training opportunity.
The Successful Supervisor Series is offered every other year. Workshops will take place once a month on a date selected and agreed upon by the participants. Each workshop will last a full day. Participants will be required to complete a capstone project that will be assigned by a leadership representative.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
You will learn how to lead with confidence, positively affect morale and guide your staff to achieve critical goals for the university. You will work with supervisors and administrators from different areas of OSU in Tulsa to review and discuss the functions, opportunities and challenges every supervisor faces.
The primary objectives of the S3 program are to:
- orient participants to the supervisor’s role.
- equip participants to manage employee performance and productivity.
- equip participants to supervise within the law.
- promote collegial networking among university supervisors.
You will also:
- gain a deeper understanding of your roles and responsibilities as a supervisor.
- benefit from developmental conversations with others .
- learn effective skill sets to manage employee performance.
- expand your network of colleagues.
- learn how to achieve better results with less stress.
- enhance your credibility as a supervisory manager.
HOW WILL THIS PROGRAM BENEFIT MY CAREER?
According to administrators for OSU in Tulsa, this is the training program of choice for supervisors in all areas of the university. It’s a remarkable opportunity to enhance your skills and prepare for future leadership positions. Plus, it will certainly make a positive impact on your résumé.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
Those interested in the program must complete an application and submit a letter of recommendation from their manager. A limited number of participants will be selected. Applications must be received by Debbie Butler in Human Resources. Applications will be reviewed by Human Resources to assess criteria including eligibility requirements and the applicant's description of their expected contribution to the S3 team and program from the application. Final candidate applications will be presented to the leadership team.
Those encouraged to apply include:
- experienced managers who want to update their knowledge of effective supervisory management practices;
- newly designated frontline managers and supervisors;
Eligible candidates will have:
- been employed at OSU a minimum of six months.
- job functions that include supervisor functionality ( i.e., supervisor, lead, manager, assistant director).
- no disciplinary actions within one year.
- a recommendation letter from a manager, director, chair or vice president.
Those selected to take part in S3 must attend all meetings and workshops. Participants who miss more than two workshops will be automatically dropped from the program.
A finale luncheon, with administration and other university leaders, will take place upon the completion of the program. Participants will receive a plaque and completion certificate.